Monday, March 26, 2007

Brothers K

So I am reading this book, The Brothers K by David James Duncan. I finished The River Why while I was on the Grand Canyon. Amazing book, highly recommended! Anyway so I am reading this one now and there was a passage that I really liked.
This is a passage from a boy in a family of 6 kids. He lives in a house with a mother is devoutly conservative Christian, and as a teenager he is questioning what he sees in the church. In this part he is questioning the way he see people pray. Here he is explaining to his brothers how he thinks people should pray,
"Hello there, God. I know Thy Will is being done today, as usual, and I think that's terrific as usual. Of course to me Your will looks like a crazy mess that's getting the rich richer and the poor poorer and the innocent killed and babies stomped and starved and the whole world is danger of being blown up any minute by atom bombs and all. But You know all about me thinking that, since You made me. So, uh, sorry. And please, go right ahead and do Your Will no matter what I think, even if it kills us. Talk to You tomorrow, Lord! Love, Everett."
Take it as you will, I just thought it was something to think about

2 comments:

Eric said...

Duncan has been on Tabitha and my 'to read' list.

At my interview at Mars Hill, there was a written section which was divided into 3 parts. One of those parts was 4 or 5 quotes / comments from Duncan's work in which we were to respond to.

Doesn't sound like the standard seminary's interview response questions :)

Weiseth said...

Well, Mars Hill is not your standard Seminary. Anyway, I think that Duncan is a good person to read when contemplating these things. The book and a half I have read have meant a lot to me and they do a good job of making you think about religion and Christianity.